Witamy na Forum Polonii w Dallas!

Center for military studies Texas - Gerald Kochan

Polskie organizacje w Dallas, Polski Kosciol, Polonia w Texasie ... Polish organization in Dallas area / Polish Church

Moderator: kris_k

mattm1970

Post autor: mattm1970 » wt sie 03, 2010 3:10 am

I am attempting to trace The Center For Military Studies in Greenville Texas http://centerformilitarystudies.org/index.php
The Owner of The Center , Gerald Kochan , obtained the WW2 Log Book belonging to my Grandfather , Fl Lt Tarkowski , a Polish fighter pilot in The Polish Airforce - 315 and 307 Squadrons on behalf on The Center.

Mr Kochan visited my Grandfather six months before his death in 2001 and convinced him to sell the item - an action that in the view of close family members was entirely out of character and an example of his state of mind at the time - he was suffering from dementia .

I am a Trustee of my Grandfathers Estate and represent the family in its attempt to recover this important and emotionally priceless artefact which Mr Kochan claims he still possesses.

The reason I am writing to is because we have failed to establish an actual physical presence for the Center in Greenville Tx ( we have had friends from Dallas visit the area and they were unable to find The Center at all ) and our concern is that my Grandfathers log book does not feature in the online archive of The Center.

We have a work and home address for Mr Kochan - neither of which are asscociated with The Center

I am writing firstly to establish if anybody knows of Mr Kochan and secondly if they know of The Center For Military Studies in Texas as , previously mentioned , we have failed on two visits to Greenville to trace it.

I thank you for you time

Matthew McCarthy

mattm1970@hotmail.com
Ostatnio zmieniony czw sie 12, 2010 7:00 am przez mattm1970, łącznie zmieniany 2 razy.

melanie

Center for Military Studies

Post autor: melanie » wt sie 03, 2010 10:09 am

I too would like to know more about this centre and where it is. My mother and sister were to contacted by this man claiming to have a museum.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of this centre perhaps they could let me know as well.

Ania

mattm1970

Re: Center for Military Studies

Post autor: mattm1970 » pn sie 09, 2010 10:09 am

I have been contacted by the AFA Texas ( who are helping me try and trace The Center in Greenville) and have been told that they failed to establish it's whereabouts - they state that they have never heard of this organisation.

The Chamber of Commerce in Greenville also says it has no knowledge of "The Center"

The local Air Base and Air National Guard are now helping me to see if they can do any better.

Can I please thank all those who have contacted me - I know that Veteran Affairs are of great concern in America and all the feedback I've received has been fantastic.

M Mc

mattm1970

Post autor: mattm1970 » czw sie 12, 2010 1:48 am

Not Great news

Mr. McCarthy, I regret that I have no information to help you.
I am not familiar with The Center of (for) Military Studies or the name Gerald Kochan. I have checked the membership database of Texas Association of Museums. There is no record of the center.

Executive Director
Texas Association of Museums

mattm1970

Post autor: mattm1970 » pt sie 13, 2010 1:53 am

Matt:

I am the AFA NE Texas Chapter 416 President and have lived in Greenville since 1980; I have never heard of this organization. I called the Chamber of Commerce and they have not heard of it either. I have some feelers out to see if someone else has heard of it, including the Lt. Col. of the local Squadron and the Air National Guard. I will let you know if I hear of anything.

Best regards,

mattm1970

Re: Center for military studies Texas - Gerald Kochan

Post autor: mattm1970 » pn sie 16, 2010 9:12 am

"Among the many museums benefiting from the Center's programs and donations have been The Mighty Eighth Air Force Memorial Museum, The 82nd Airborne Memorial Museum, The Silent Wings Museum and the National Infantry Museum" http://centerformilitarystudies.org/index.php

Dear Sir,

Over a period of 3 years, 2000-2003 Mr. Kochan donated various items to this museum to be placed in the Polish AF exhibit. There were only medals, a garment bag, hats, ties, etc. All of these items had no personal names attached. We required a Deed of Gift from Mr. Kochan which in effect gives us legal right to the items. There were no logs included. We have not heard or seen the gentleman since and have no knowledge of the Center as these were donated as a personal donation from him. None of this helps you with your quest and lack of contact with him is unacceptable in our view. His address you gave is the same one he used here.No mention of "The Center" is anywhere in evidence with this donation.

(Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum)

Please understand that this museum does not have any business arrangement or agreement with Gerald Kochan. In addition, he has never been employed by the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum. It is true that he has donated some artifacts in the past. It is also true that he rented space at this museum for a luncheon. However, this museum rents space to paying customers, and it was on that basis that he was here.

I have checked the correspondence files for information about Gerald Kochan.These letters do not indicate any museum affiliations. In addition, he has never been employed by the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum.

Response from U.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum

I've contacted all the museum folks here at Bragg (at
least us and the 82d Airborne Museum people). None of us have ever
heard of Mr. Kochan and we know nothing of a Polish Military Museum. If
he continues to pursue you on this, I'd check with the American
Association of Museums or some of the other professional museum
organizations to verify the person. We at Fort Bragg have no knowledge
of him.

U.S. Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum*

Response from Texas Association of Museums

Sent: 11 August 2010 23:02
To: McCarthy, Matt
Subject: RE: Center for Military Studies - Greenville Texas ( Gerlad Kochan - Rockwall )

Mr. McCarthy, I regret that I have no information to help you.

I am not familiar with The Center of (for) Military Studies or the name Gerald Kochan. I have checked the membership database of Texas Association of Museums. There is no record of the center or the person.

Executive Director

Texas Association of Museums

melanie

Center for Military Studies

Post autor: melanie » wt sie 24, 2010 10:41 am

The same happened to us. I am still waiting for an artifact to be returned. I would like to know more about this museum as we were told it would haouse my father's logbook. I am still waiting.

Odpowiedz